Time Runner shorty story (what i have so far)

No replies
Shadow_season's picture

...Environmental scan sequence loading...scan initiated..

Through his veins, a force of adrenaline rushed, screaming at the speed of light as it coursed through his body, pushing him to his limit, as he hurried down the busy sidewalk, trying to push through the tightly packed crowd of men and women who gazed on the scene before them.

Into his chest, the cold, dense air of the morning breeze blasted as he struggled to catch his breath; the dirty, foul air that burned his lungs in the presence of the early day sun. Within the 3d space of his A.R.R.S implants, the world around him came alive as he gazed around, nearly over flowing his Cortex memory storage chip with gathering information, as it desperately sought out an escape from the figures in pursuit of him.

“Take the next ally down, there’s a gate at the end, but you can clear it.” A voice crackled as it echoed in his ears.

...Cloak loading....cloak engaged...

Into the narrow alley way, he dashed, fading into thin air as he neared the rusty gate. As the unknown figures neared the passage way, they were left confused, as they scanned in every direction, the bright blue beams emanating from their foreheads going into overload, in search of their target.

“Did you retrieve the program?”

“Yes.”

“Good...Now we’re another step closer to getting you back home.”

As a world both familiar and known unfolded around him, he found himself overcome with exhaustion, barely able to stand as he appeared in a strange new place, a place not unlike that from his own time, yet somehow still foreign to him.

“Where am I?”

“Ummm, that would be the Golden Crest city park.”

Falling back into an old wooden bench, he sighed with relief. He made his escape, yet a sense of danger still lingered, as he fought to restore vitality lost in the pursuit.

As he gazed around, taking in every inch of his surroundings, his sensory monitors lit up, absorbing every sound, every figure that passed; every life signal, whether human or synthetic or hybrid. No chance could be taken. Every minute that passed, would be the life of his people, and if his life were snuffed out, the empire would be forever lost.

“You never told me what its like to phase...what’s it like?”

“Its like being born and dying at the same time...you never want to do it unless you have to, kid.”

“Sounds rough.”

“It is.”

As he gazed down at his arm, the small holoscreen flashed to life, only existing somewhere between the reality behind his eyes, and the reality beyond them. The world cannot see what lies behind eyes of the one who chooses to keep secretes.

“Aidan, can you see this.”

“Yea I can.”

“I want you to download this, keep this as a copy just in case.”

“yea, sure, give a me a few seconds.” Aidan slightly stuttered.

As his Retinal implants linked, his eyes lit up, glowing bright yellow, as he scanned the information strobing from the holoscreen, in hope the link was strong enough to send.

...Geneisis II program download in progress...please wait...

“A pile of dead bodies, a stolen secrete program...Good thing we’re on a hidden frequency.”

“They were only synthetics.”

“Not the point.”

“What’s the point?”

“Never mind...the good thing is, we have one more piece to the puzzle.”

“My family will be pleased when I return, I made that promise before going through the time portal...we have many more pieces to go.”

...Download complete....

“We’ll find them...for now, just get out of there before the hunter drones find you...I’m not picking up any bio/sythetic life signatures, but you better go before they start filling the sky.”

‘Okay.”

“Be careful.”

“I will.” He said softly.

Active alert mode initiating.....alert mode engaged....

Back among the faceless masses he found himself, walking invisible, seen but unseen by the people who were not so different from his own, yet were still strangers to him. Inside, a hunger for home began to grow; a longing for the place he belonged, a desire to see his family once again, however, to save them, his place would now have to be in the strange land, the time portal unit sent him. Sometimes the ways of the Gods aren’t always clear to man, even when they seem to be on the surface.

As he walked on, a world began to rise up around him, rising up from the depths like a phoenix, being born in the digital space between the real and the virtual. The androids, and the humans, the craft flying low overhead; the glowing buildings and the signs scrolling across their plasma skins, all slowly morphing into a world he left not so long ago, a world that now began to feel like it had been abandoned for ages.

“Is that what your home looks like?”

“I forgot, you can see my memories.”

“I didn’t mean to pry...”

“It’s okay.”

“it is beautiful though.”

“Thanks.”

“Security is going to be very high now. All military bases and corporate buildings will be crawling with elite guards, every check point around the city will be with engaged around the clock...they’re going to try finding out who infiltrated the Magnas Corporation information data base. Very few citizens know of its existence.

“How do you know of it?”

“I have my ways.”

“I see.”

“I have eyes and ears all over this city.”

“How have you not been caught yet?”

“I have my ways.”

“Of course.”

“I had to learn to survive after the corporate takeover. When the old governments collapsed, the world became reformed under the rule of the corporation, and things changed...I changed.”

“So your kingdom fell?”

“Yea...something like that.”

“Nothing changes, does it?”

“No, I suppose not.”

As he calmly faded back into the masses, a strong wind picked up; through his short, dark brown hair, it ran its long, skinny fingers, gently combing through each strand with a chilling numb as he flipped up the collar of his nano-fabric uniform in hope of fighting back the cold breeze that suddenly assaulted him.

....Survival probability....60 percent...mission success...40 percent...

Total time out of time...12 days....targets acquired..1.....targets remaining...4

.....days remaining....12..

“I can feel them.”

“Who.”

“My people...I can feel their suffering, even at this moment. I can feel the death over them.”

“You’re connected to them?”

“Yes.”

“Then we need to waste no more time, if you are to save them.”

“If I can’t save them, I will have no home to return to...my empire will be dead.”

“You will, I promise you that.”

“I still have a long way to go...I do not know your time...without you, I’d have been terminated already...

“Well, I’m not going anywhere, no matter what. But I need to know what you are after, can you upload your mission objective?”

“Yes.”

......mission objective...to locate and acquire targets suitable for warfare, food reproduction, genetic preservation, genetic reproduction, and mass transportation...uploading...